Barcaldine was built by Sir Duncan Campbell (Black Duncan) between 1591 and 1601. It is an L-plan castle with four levels to it. It was originally known as the Black Castle of Benderloch. The castle has seen some very unsettled times and was ruined by 1842 when it was sold. In 1896, the Campbells purchased it back for restoration and have lived in it since then.
It has four levels to it, the ground floor contains the kitchen, bottle dungeon and a cellar converted into a dining area. The first floor has the great hall and the lairds parlor. Second floor has bedrooms for use in the Bed & Breakfast and the final floor are the private chambers for the family.Tidbit: Barcaldine is derived from Barr a challtuin - Hazel knoll in Gaelic