Page and Photos
Copyright ©1999-2006
C.Garner and P.Wright

Send Comments

Brodie Castle

July 14, 1999
Near Forres, Moray
Map Ref: NH 980 578

prev next

[Grampians Region]
Brodie Castle

This castle was probably started around 1560 by Alexander Brodie of Brodie. It has undergone several modifications over the years but it is believed to have started as a Z-plan tower house.

In 1645, the house was partially burnt and razed by the Royalist army. Remodeling was begun in 1730 during the 19th Brodie of Brodie residence. Large debts were incurred and carried through several generations when the 22nd Brodie married an heiress.

Due to rising costs of upkeep, the 25thBrodie of Brodie turned care over to the National Trust for Scotland in 1970's. Some rennovation was performed by National Trust in the 1980's and the castle is in excellent shape.

There are some spectacular rooms and furnishings in this estate. Photos are not allowed inside the structure. Most of the paintings were beautiful and there is a stained glass window in a stairway that shouldn't be missed.

Brodie Castle : Cheese Press
Cheese press outside

Armorial Bearings

Armorial Bearings