Page and Photos
Copyright ©1999-2015
C.Garner and P.Wright

Send Comments

Carnassarie Castle

August 6, 1997,
Carnassarie, Argyll
Map Reference: NM 837009
prev more next

[Argyll Region]

Tower house and hall floor plan. Built between 1565 and 1572 by John Carswell, the first Protestant Bishop of the Isles. John Carswell translated the first book to be printed in Gaelic, Book of Common Order.

In 1685, the castle was damaged by royalist forces after an uprising against James VII. The building was intended to serve more as a residence than a fortification. Carnassarie was not restored after this uprising and is now in the hands of Historic Scotland.

It is located on the north side of Kilmartin Glen, by Carnassarie village.

Carnasserie Castle : from below
Copyright ©2008 David Mardell
Carnasserie Castle
Copyright ©2008 David Mardell

Carnassarie Castle : Back side
Carnassarie Castle