Page and Photos
Copyright ©1999-2006
C.Garner and P.Wright

Send Comments

Cille Chriosd

July 13, 1999
Near Broadford, Skye
Map Ref: NG 625 215
prev next

[Highland Region]

Cille Criosd meaning Christ's Church was built in the 16th century to supercede the parish church of Strath. One of the earliest historical references (1505) mentions that Kenneth Adamson was replaced by John MacGillivray as chaplain. In 1508, MacGillivray was replaced by Sir John Johenson, and then by John Ranaldson.

In 1627 the church received its first Protestant minister, Neil Mackinnon. Upon his appointment he 'gave his grite and solemn oath that he sall treulie according to his knowledge, give up to the Clerk of Councell the names of all the Papists he knew within the Isles'. Neil Mackinnon was know for his mean spirit and greed.

In 1840, Cille Chriosd was superseded as parish church by a new building in Broadford.

Cille Criosd: Church with graveyard
Cille Criosd: Inside Cille Criosd: Private cemetary