As is perhaps evident from the picture, Collarnie is a private holding and located in a working farm. The remaining small tower house was once part of a much larger L-plan castle.
A lintel above the main entrance dates the castle to 1581. Collairnie was built by the Barclays and remained in the their holding until 1717. In 1789 it passed into the hands of the Balfours of Fernie.
Unseen by us, the tower is reputed to have two finely paneled tempera ceilings on the second and third floors. The ceilings were painted with the arms of nearly fifty families with some tie to the Barclays.