Page and Photos
Copyright ©1999-2009
C.Garner and P.Wright

Send Comments

Craignethan Castle

By Crossford, Lanarkshire
Map Reference: NS 816 464
prev back next

[Clyde Region]

1530 - Construction of Craignethan begun by Sir James Hamilton of Finnart.

1540 - Sir James executed for treason.

1540 - Acquired by James, 2nd Earl of Arran, Regent of Scotland 1542 - 1554.

1549 - James is created the Duke of Chatelherault in France.

1566 - The Duke is banished to France for opposing the marriage of Mary and Henry Darnley. Craignethan is occupied on behalf of the Queen.

1568 - In May, Craignethan is captured by the Earl of Moray after Mary's army is defeated in route to Dumbarton.

1568 - Lord Claud Hamilton retakes Craignethan.

1579 - Proclamations are issued against the Hamiltons for past crimes. Craignethan is abandoned without a fight. Lord John and Lord Claud flee into exile. The fortifications are ordered slighted.

1599 - Lord John is made the first Marquis of Hamilton.

1659 - Andrew Clay purchases Craignethan from Anne, Duchess of Hamilton. Construction of his residence further damages the 16th century fortifications by robbing them of masonry.

130 - Purchased by the Duke of Douglas.