Dumbarton sits on the twin peaks of White Tower Crag and The Beak where the River Clyde meets River Leven. There are fortifications all around the peaks to provide 360 degree protection. Dumbarton has been called by many names.
- Dun Breatann - Fortress of the Britons
- Alt Clut
- Clyde Rock
The earliest mention of this fortress was 450 AD. The oldest structure in the complex is this archway leading to the peaks. It was constructed in the 14th century. Several defensive structures (ie castle) were built but did not survive through the years.
In 1770, a prison was built to hold French prisoners from the Napoleonic wars. It was placed on White Tower Crag and a power magazine was built atop The Beak.
This is a view of the governor's mansion built 1735 from the top of White Tower Crag.