Page and Photos
Copyright ©1999-2006
C.Garner and P.Wright

Send Comments

Dun a'Chaisteal

July 18, 1999
Near Castle Sween, Kintyre
Map Ref: NR 713 780
prev more next

[Argyll Region]

Dun a'Chaisteal was a iron age fortress. The fortress was inhabited between 400 B.C. and 1000 A.D. Castle Sween is located below the hill that Dun a'Chaisteal sits on. Castle Sween was built to be the successor to Dun a'Chaisteal. The fortress is also associated with the mythical Deirdre of the Sorrows and her mate, Naoise McUisneach.

The area around the fortress was used as a quary in the later years. Some of the stone was used for the MacMillan Cross and the St. Johns Cross on Iona.

Dun a'Chaisteal : from below
Above: View of the hill that Dun a'Chaisteal sits on
Right: Possible remains of a wall
Dun a'Chaisteal : possible wall