Page and Photos
Copyright ©1999-2006
C.Garner and P.Wright

Send Comments

Dunrobin Castle

July 15, 1999
Near Golspie, Sutherland
Map Ref: NC 852 008
prev next

[Highland Region]
Dunrobin Castle: Entrance Dunrobin Castle: Back side
Photo Copyright ©1999 J.Sutherland
Dunrobin Castle: Pathway

Dunrobin Castle: fountain
Photo Copyright ©1999 J.Sutherland

The land has been associated with the Earls of Sutherland since 1235. There was a castle here during that time but no part of it exists now. The original part of the surviving castle is the 15th keep (supposedly built in 1401). It still has the original yett. An L-shapped addition was built between 1672 and 1682 on each side of the keep. This lends the appearance of an E-plan structure. The fairy-tale look of the castle was created during the remodel in 1845 and 1851 by the architect, Sir Charles Barry. Finally the last remodel occurred between 1914 and 1921 by Sir Robert Lorimer.

The castle has a fine museum which includes several Pictish symbol stones. The castle grounds has a formal garden on the sea side.

Ghost story:
The daughter of the 14th Earl of Sutherland fell in love with a man that her father considered unsuitable. The earl locked his daughter in an attic room to prevent her from eloping. The daughter attempted to escape by climbing down a rope but her father surprised her and she fell to her death. The daughter now haunts the upper floors of the castle.