Page and Photos
Copyright ©1999-2006
C.Garner and P.Wright

Send Comments

Dun Troddan

July 13, 1999
Near Glenelg, Highlands
Map Ref: NG 833 172
prev more next

[Highland Region] [Floor Plan]

Dun Troddan may date back to 100 BC. It originally stood at over 11 meters. The stones were quarried to be used in the construction of public buildings. It is believed that much of the top of the broch was used to help the construction of Bernera Barracks in 1722.

The broch was excavated in 1922. The excavation showed three hearths within a concentric circle of upright posts. Some stone whorls, schist discs and a bead were found.

Dun Troddan: Entrance to broch
Dun Troddan: Back wall
Dun Troddan: Side of broch

Additional photos by Contributors