Photo Copyright ©1998 Sally J. Smith
The castle sits on an island between three lochs; Loch Long, Loch Alsh and Loch Duich. It stands on the remains of a Pictish Fort and was once inhabited by the religious hermit, St. Donan. Hence the name Eilean Donan (Isle of Donan).
It was built during Alexander II's reign (1214-1250). Alexander III gave the castle to Colin Fitzgerald, the predecessor of Clan MacKenzie.
In 1719 the castle was defeated by the four English frigates and fell
to ruins for 200 years.
John MacRae-Gilstrap and Farquhar MacRae rebuilt the castle between 1912 and 1932. Each detail was faithful to the original plan.
The interior has been preserved and is currently occupied during part of the year.Additional photos by Contributors