Page and Photos
Copyright ©1999-2006
C.Garner and P.Wright

Send Comments

Elcho Castle

August 13, 1997
Near Perth, Perthshire
Map Reference: NO 165 211

prev more next

[Perthshire Region]
Elcho Castle : Entrance

This castle belongs to the Earls of Wemyss. It has always been in their family. The castle was built in the later part of the 1500's. It is a Z-plan tower house with some remains of a barmkin. The land was confirmed to Sir John Wemyss of Wemyss in 1468.

By 1780, the castle was abandoned and had fallen into ruin. It was reroofed in 1830. The castle was placed into State care in 1929 and Historic Scotland maintains it on behalf of the State.

The castle was built to be a stately manor for the Wemyss family. It has not known warfare, although there are gunloops and a small amount of defensive structures.

There is interior plaster work, in the hall, that has survived all the renovations and years. This castle had one of the largest staircases we had seen from the entrance to the great hall.

Photos at top are copyright ©1999 John. H. Beach
26 Ridgeland Rd.
Yonkers, NY 10710 USA
Taken: 10 April, 1998
Elcho Castle : From the garden
Elcho Castle : Molding