Page and Photos
Copyright ©1999-2006
C.Garner and P.Wright

Send Comments

Elgin Cathedral

August 9, 1997
Elgin, Moray
Map Reference: NJ 212628
prev more next

[Grampian Region]

Elgin Cathedral was established in 1224. The church started as a chapter house and by the end of the 13th century,it reached it's full size. The chapter house is still intact but was too dark to take pictures inside.

The towers at the entrance to the main chapel are still intact.

Elgin Cathedral : Down the nave
Elgin Cathedral : Knights effigy

There are several effigies on tombs, this is just one of many. There is also a Pict stone with several symbols inside the walls of the cathedral. The stone was probably carved in the 9th century.