Page and Photos
Copyright ©1999-2006
C.Garner and P.Wright

Send Comments

Glenbuchat Castle

August 11, 1997
Near Strathdon, Aberdeenshire
Map Reference: NJ 397 149

prev more next

[Grampian Region]
Glenbuchat Castle : Back side Glenbuchat Castle :

The Glenbuchat name is based on the castle location between the Water of Buchat and the Don (rivers). It was also called Glenbucket. The castle was built in 1590. The floor plan follows the normal Z-plan.

It was built by the John Gordone and Helen Carnegie. The castle was confiscated in 1745 for Brigadier General Gordon's involvement in the Jacobite uprising.

The top left photo shows the entrance side of the castle, while the right photo show the rear of the building. The backside shows the circular angle turrets where the building could be defended.

Additional photos by Contributors