Page and Photos
Copyright ©1999-2006
C.Garner and P.Wright

Send Comments

Invergarry Castle

July 16, 1999
Near Fort Augustus, Invernesshire
Map Ref: NH 315 006

prev more next

[Highland Region]
Invergary Castle: Outside Invergarry was an L-plan castle with 5 stories. It was built in the 17th century by Clan Ranald of Glengarry. The castle was burned by General Monck in 1654 during Cromwell's occupation and control was passed to the English monarchs in 1692. Alasdair Dubh recaptured the castle in 1715 but lost it again in 1716 to Hanoverian forces.

The castle was back in the hands of the MacDonalds by 1731 in time to support the Bonnie Prince Charlie and was burned again by the "Butcher' Duke of Cumberland.

It was not rebuilt but a new mansion was erected which in now the Glengarry Castle Hotel.

Invergary Castle: Inside
Inside the castle block
Invergary Hotel
The Glengarry Castle Hotel