Page and Photos
Copyright ©1999-2015
C.Garner and P.Wright

Send Comments

Johnstone Manor

Burgh of Johnstone
Map Reference:
prev next

[Clyde Region]
Johnstone Manor : South side

The Houstoun's acquired these lands around 1645. In 1741, the local laird founded a town called Brig O' Johnstone. The castle was expanded in the late 1700's and early 1800's. Due to the growth of industry in the area, Johnstone became the Burgh of Johnstone in 1857.

The castle remained in Houstoun hands until the early 1900's. During World War II, the castle was used as a "prisoner of war" camp. Polish servicemen were also billeted here for a time. After the war, the castle was sold to the Johnstone Town Council.

Johnstone : North side In 1956, the castle was declared unsafe and demolished to make room for a housing development. The central tower is what remains in a square. At the time we visited, the tower was serving as an information bureau.


The following is the plaque that was posted on the fence surrounding the castle.
Johnstone Manor : Plaque
Frederick Chopin 1810 - 1849

To commemorate the temporary
residency of the composer and pianist
Frederick Chopin at Johnstone Castle.

Chopin was a guest of Ludovic Houstoun,
5th Laird of Johnstone Castle whose wife he
had tutored in Paris. He stayed at
Johnstone Castle for most of the month
of September 1848 prior to giving a
concert at the Merchants Hall in Glasgow
on the 27th of that year.