Keiss Castle was built by the Earl of Caithness (Campbells) in the early 1600's. It is a small castle with it's walls bounded by the cliff's edge. The original entrance was destroyed by the cliff face falling away. It appears to have built purely for seaward attacks as there is no strong evidence of protection from the landward side.
The castle was probably abandoned in the early 1700's. The castle was eventually turned over to the Sinclairs of Dunbeath. They replaced it with the new Keiss Castle built in 1755 further from the cliff.