Page and Photos
Copyright ©1999-2006
C.Garner and P.Wright

Send Comments

Kilmory Knap Chapel

July 18, 1999
Near Kilmory, Kintyre
Map Ref: NR 703 752

prev more next

[Argyll Region]

Kilmory Chapel is home to many early graveslab carvings. There are a few early Christian crosses included in the display. The chapel fell out of use early. In 1934 a roof was installed to provide shelter to the many carvings within.

The grave slabs are dated between the 14th century and the 16th. The early carvings were made by artists from Ireland and later local artists took over. One of the early crosses is known as Macmillans' Cross.

Kilmory Chapel
Macmillands Cross Early celtic carving