This area was settled by the MacLachlans in the thirteenth century. They immigrated from Ireland where they had been kings of Ulster. The original structure was built then and later replaced by a 15th century keep. The chief of the MacLachlans was killed at the Battle of Culloden in 1746. At that time, the castle was ravaged by the Campbells.
Many of the rooms and doorways have been closed up to prevent vagrants from taking up residence. It sits on a promontory with the new Castle Lachlan in the background.