The ferry dropped us off right at Lochranza. The castle was under some restoration work, but still a fine site to see.
Originally Lochranza was used as a hunting lodge for the Kings of Scotland. In 1315, the property passed to the Campbells who built the first castle. The Montgomery's obtained rights to the castle in 1452 and James the IV used it as a base for attacking the MacDonald Lords of the Isles.
Cromwell had a garrison housed at Lochranza in 1650's and it was sold to
the Duchess of Hamilton in 1705.
The property and castle was abandoned in the late 1700's and is now in the
care of Historic Scotland.