Page and Photos
Copyright ©1999-2006
C.Garner and P.Wright

Send Comments

Rait Castle

July 14, 1999
Near Nairn, Invernesshire
Map Ref: NH 894 525

prev more next

[Highland Region] [Plan]
Rait Castle: Side view

Rait was probably built around 1240 when the Thanedom of Rait was held by Clan MacIntosh. It has changed hands several times: de Raits, Campbells, Comyns, MacIntoshes, and Campbells again. The last record of the castle was in 1590, when the 12th Thane of Cawdor held the property. It is believed to have been abandoned soon after.

There seem to be only two floors, ground and first. The ground floor was used for storage and possibly some living quarters. The first floor had the hall and a solar. The round tower was probably used as a private chamber.

This castle has a ghost story with it!

The Comyns invited the MacIntoshes to a feast with murder in their hearts. The MacIntoshes arrived heavily armed and prepared for treachery. The Comyn laird believed his daughter had betrayed him and as she hung from a window ledge, he cut her hands off causing her to fall to her death.

Rait Castle: Inside hall
Additional photos by Contributors