Page and Photos
Copyright ©1999-2006
C.Garner and P.Wright

Send Comments

Ravenscraig Castle

August 14, 1997
Kirkcaldy, Fife
Map Reference: NT 291 925

prev more next

[Fife Region]

Ravenscraig was started in March of 1460 and finished four years later by James II. The plan was to build two drum shaped towers with a gun platform connecting them. The east tower is 43 feet in diameter and the west is 38 feet. The west tower is assumed to be the Queen Mary of Gueldres's residence after the death of James II.

In 1470 the castle was sold to Lord St. Clair. The payment was in the form of an estate in Kirkwall and a title in the Orkneys.



View from the top the gun platform along the beach.


The moat and the entrance bridge.