Page and Photos
Copyright ©1999-2006
C.Garner and P.Wright

Send Comments

Skipness Castle

July 19, 1999
Near Tarbert, Argyll
Map Ref: NR 907 577

prev more next

[Argyll Region]
Skipness Castle : south wall

Skipness is a square courtyard castle that was built in the 13th century by the MacSweens. It was used as a stronghold against the vikings. The Macdonald Lord of the Isles held the castle until 1493 and it went to the Forresters. 1499 saw it turned over to The Campbell Earl of Argyll. The castle was abandoned in the 17th century. There is a chapel dedicated to Saint Brendan to the southeast of the castle.

Skipness Castle : dovecot
Dovecot
Skipness Castle : North wall