Page and Photos
Copyright ©1999-2006
C.Garner and P.Wright

Send Comments

Castle Stalker

1998
Portnacroish, Argyll
Map Reference: NM 921 473

prev next

Castle Stalker, as it stands now, was built by the Stewarts of Appin in the early 16th century. The island definitely hosted an earlier stronghold held by the MacDougalls. The lands passed to the Stewarts in 1388 as part of the landed title, Lords of Lorn.

A simple but stout rectangular keep of three storeys with a garret, Stalker sits on a small islet at the edge of Loch Laich. At high tide it is only reachable by boat.

Castle Stalker was sold by the 6th laird of Appin, in 1620 and came into possession of the Campbells. The Privy Council of 1684 ordered it to be given back to Stewarts and after a prolonged siege the Stewarts retrieved it. They lost it again in 1690 due to their support of Jacobite cause. Castle Stalker was no longer occupied as a residence or stronghold by 1780. The present owners began restorations in 1960.

Top: View of Stalker from the east.

Bottom: Another view from the south.

Photo Copyright ©1998 by Sally J.Smith

Photo Copyright ©1998 by Sally J.Smith