Dating back to the 14th century, Strathaven had several owners. In the early 1400's, it was owned by the powerful Douglas family. After the suppression of the House of Douglas in 1455, it passed in 1458 to Sir Andrew Stewart, who later become the first Lord Avondale. The 3rd Lord lost it to Sir James Hamilton of Finnart in 1534. In 1611 Strathhaven was sold to James, 2nd Marquis of Hamilton and it remained in that family for three hundred years.
An interesting story is told on the plaque outside
|View from the south.||View from the northeast.|
|View from the northwest.||View from the west.|