Castle Sween was built in the late 12th century by Suibhne (pronounced sween). It has seen many lords over the years. The MacSweens held the land until 1262 when the MacDondalds captured it. The latter part of the 1500's, the MacNeills of Gigha were appointed keepers. Alexander MacMillan inherited from his father-in-law and is know for erecting the MacMillan Cross a Kilmory.
It reverted the the crown in 1481 when Colin Campbell granted Sween and became the first Earl of Argyll. The castle was captured by the MacDonalds in 1647 and partly dismantled. It was placed in the care of HBMD Scottish Developemnt Center in 1933 and is under Historic Scotlands care currently.
There is a camp grounds a few yards away from the castle where it would be a great place to camp and wander the hills for a few days!